What is High-Value Penetration Testing and Why Is It Important?
A high-value penetration test has several aspects.
- It models the activities of real-world attackers
- to find vulnerabilities in target systems
- and exploits them under controlled circumstances
- applying technical excellence to determine and document risk and potential business impact
- in a professional, safe fashion according to a carefully designed scope and rules of engagement
- with the goal of helping an organization prioritize its resources in improving its security stance.
Some so-called penetration testers with limited skills only operate along one or two of these lines. The best penetration testers, however, can deliver on all of these items, with consistent high quality. Each SANS pen test course is designed to prepare attendees to maximize the value of their work across all of these aspects of high-value penetration testing.